Re: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font

From: P . Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 06:59:25 -0500

"""
----- Original Message -----
From: "Egil Kvaleberg" <address@hidden>
To: "Groff" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 3:58 AM
Subject: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font

A few characters seem to be broken in the default .R font, using
postscript.Always has been.

Most notably (for Norwegians, at least) is the 'Ø' (&oelig; in html)
where the definition is far too narrow, causing the following character
to be partly overwritten. At least one of the ligatures ('fi, from
memory?) is also broken.

The other fonts (e.g. Palatino) work just fine.

The easy fix is to switch permanently to Palatino (which would be an
aesthetic advantage anyhow, IMHO).

This is unknown territory for me, does this ring a bell somewhere?
"""

That would be Adobe's fault. I've yet to find a font produced by Adobe that
doesn't fulfill the following patterns: (a) no kerning whatsoever for
international characters, and (b) somewhat scorched spacing of non-ASCII
characters.

Now, on using Palatino instead, I dunno. I myself have lost count of how
many times I've done it in lack of better alternatives, but Palatino is a
display font, ya' know?