Re: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:59:12 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Robert D. Goulding wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
>
> > A few characters seem to be broken in the default .R font, using
> > postscript.Always has been.
> >
> > Most notably (for Norwegians, at least) is the 'Ø' (œ in html)
> > where the definition is far too narrow, causing the following character
> > to be partly overwritten. At least one of the ligatures ('fi, from
> > memory?) is also broken.
> >

> I don't get any problems with ø, or with the fi ligature.  Could this be a
> ghostscript problem you're experiencing?  The pdfwriter in the 7.x series
> of ghostscript is broken - fi and fl ligatures come out with incorrect
> metrics, sometimes overwriting the next character, sometimes leaving a
> large gap.  For all I know, this may be the case with ø as well.  (Sorry,
> can't test it, as gs 7.x has been eradicated from my machine...).
>
> Robert.

To correct myself - I've just learnt that the spacing problem has been
fixed in AFPL gs 7.30 and above (betas).  Also, in *earlier* releases in
the 7.xx series, you can avoid the problem by using ps2pdf13 -- but
pdfwrite is acknowledged to be pretty buggy in these releases, so probably
best to upgrade to the beta or downgrade to GNU gs 6.53 or similar.

Sorry for misleading you - Robert.