grub-devel

Re: menu loop (patch)

From: chaac
Subject: Re: menu loop (patch)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:21:47 +0300 (EEST)

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" address@hidden kirjoitti:
On Saturday 19 July 2008 21:58:09 Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:34:46AM -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> > [...]  We could support a setting such as "set menuwrap=1" which
> > would enable this feature for users who care about it.
>
> Isn't this a bit overkill?  The time spent adding this config option vastly
> exceeds any time that could be saved by having or not having menu wrap.
>
> > Actually my graphical menu currently *does* wrap around, I guess it
> > seemed logical to me at the time I wrote the code!  8-)  As you can
> > tell, I am not firmly set on either wrapping or not wrapping.
>
> Same here..  my concern with taking arbitrary decisions is, when someone
> comes later and asks to have it reverted, do we accept the request, and
> otherwise what rationale do we give her? :-)

Personally, I prefer no wrapping, because it is easier for me to use only Up/Down arrow keys, yet locate entries easily. Since I am lazy, I don't want to look for Home or End (some keyboards really suck for them!), so when I just want to jump to somewhere near to the end, I only keep pushing Down, and wait for the cursor to stop. And, this is consistent with Dired mode in Emacs, Directory Listing in VIM, and, of course, with GRUB Legacy.

Hi All,

I also like no wrapping mode. But lets assume we have nice graphical menu with
"cylinder" of menu entries that roll when you press key up/down. In here it
would be really convenient to have wraparound eg. user cant event think any other way
here. But this is something I would put into theme configuration file.

Theme could be also loadable for text menu that describes colours and such. We
could default to non-wrapping as that has been our way for long time. If user
wants to override this in theme then they are free to do so.

In every case I would prefer that home and end keys would go to always to start
and to end of the list. Page up/down would rely a bit for wrapping setting so
they can clamp to list edges if needed.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen