Re: The load path

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: The load path
Date: 05 Nov 2004 13:57:56 -0500

/etc/guile/* is pleasing, since in my experience the fundamental
problem has been installing guile with one prefix, and a guile module
with another.  The user is expected to do

(use-modules (foo bar))

but not to have to mess with %load-path.

My own preference would lean toward having a clean, pkg-friendly way,
to drop a file in /etc/guile/ that would make e.g. the guile in
/usr/pkg be able to load modules installed in /usr/y0, by extending
%load-path.
This should be a file that perhaps gets called by convention
load-usr-y0.scm, or some such, so that a package that installs to a
different prefix can run some guile code (as root) to install the file
if it isn't there, something that feels like

guile-admin --persistent-load-prefix-path-add /usr/y0

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>