Re: The load path

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: The load path
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:07:37 -0600

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> ,----
> |   This result is that .elc files will take precedence over .el files
> |   in a given directory, and files in the <flavor> site-start.d
> |   directory will take precedence over those in the emacs common
> |   directory.
> `----
>
> This might be useful to support multiple versions of Guile on a
> system, but nevertheless allowing packages that do not depend on a
> specific Guile version to place their scripts into /etc/guile/init.d.

Yes.  I'd planned to talk about that after we figured out the initial
structure.  In fact, I do think the Debian Emacs Policy's probably not
a bad example to consider[1], though I don't think we should worry
about trying to match it directly.

If we were to add something like the above, perhaps /etc/guile/X.Y/
and /etc/guile/common/ might be appropriate, but I'm tempted to put
this on the back burner for the moment.

([1] Bias disclaimer: I wrote it, in consultation with others.)

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu