Re: The load path

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: The load path
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:53:17 +0000

Greg Troxel wrote:

 Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

 > First off, the load path for a guile in /usr/bin/guile doesn't
 > include /usr/local.

 Yes.  I am not sure whether it is good to single out /usr/local, tho.
 There might be any number of directories that people could reasonable
 expect to be in the load path, such as /opt/<package>/guile for a
 Guile using <package>.

From reading this, I don't follow the direction of the current thread.
Perhaps it would be good to articulate what ought to work that doesn't
now.  The only thing I see is a way to install guile in one prefix, a
module in another, and then to somehow configure that second prefix's
share/guile to be searched by default by use-modules, load etc.

One could also want some code in the new module to be run for any
invocation of guile, but it's not clear that's a good idea as it more
or less violates the basic language definition and the provided
definition of that's in the (guile user) module.
I agree. It seems to me that the only thing we need to support here is %load-path extension, and that we might find a neater solution by focussing only on that problem (as opposed to a means for executing arbitrary 3rd party code at startup time). Guile has important differences here from Emacs, so it doesn't follow that a good design for Emacs is also good for Guile.