Re: Octave from CDROM

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave from CDROM
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:49:55 -0500

Lukas Richterek wrote:

I would like to present usage of Octave at a seminar and prepare CDROM
(distributed free of charge). Is it possible to run GNU Octave on Windows
straight from CDROM, at least with some limited "demo" features, without
hard disk installation? If so, where can I find such installation or how
could I prepare it?

I was interested in doing something similar: install octave to a network drive so anyone on the network can run from the same executable without installing anything on their machine. It turns out to be not very difficult. Use the 2.9.13 Windows installer from octave.sf.net to install to your PC. You can then copy the entire octave tree out of the C:\Program Files\ directory to some other location. You should also copy the shortcut from your start menu to somewhere in the other location, but you will need to modify its properties to point to the new location instead of C:\Program Files. You should then be able to start octave running from the new location by clicking on the new shortcut. Running from the network makes startup very slow, so I imagine this may be the case with a CD-ROM as well.

Quentin