Re: Octave from CDROM

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave from CDROM
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:15:04 +0200

On 9/13/07, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tatsuro MATSUOKA writing:
> I would like to purchase the possiblity of octave-forge packages.
> The main problem of this issue is the drive letter cd-rom
>
> As an expreriment,
> I copied intalled octave-2.9.13 (C:\Programs\octave-2.9.13) to the external
> USB HDD
> (E:\Programs\octave-2.9.13).
>
> After copy,
> octave:1>pkg uninstall all
> octave:2> pkg list
> no packages installed.
> octave:3> pkg prefix E:\Programs\Octave-2.9.13\share\octave\packages
> ans = E:\Programs\Octave-2.9.13\share\octave\packages
> octave:4> pkg rebuild linear-algebra
> octave:5> pkg list
> Package Name    | Version | Installation directory
> ----------------+---------+-----------------------
> linear-algebra  |   1.0.1 |
> E:\Programs\Octave-2.9.13\share\octave\packages\linear-algebra-1.0.1
> octave:6> pkg load linear-algebra
> octave:7> pkg list
> Package Name    | Version | Installation directory
> ----------------+---------+-----------------------
> linear-algebra *|   1.0.1 |
> E:\Programs\Octave-2.9.13\share\octave\packages\linear-algebra-1.0.1
>
> I cannot know whether this will be successful on CD-ROM.

I don't think so, because the "rebuild" command will try to save
a file in the octave directory; this will fail in the case of a CD-ROM.
In such case (demo CD-ROM), I guess the best would be either
to make the package manager relocatable, or to make the package
manager able to reload packages on the fly without relying on
an intermediate save file (this means like the "rebuild" command,
except that packages are loaded and no save file is generated)

Michael.