Re: Octave from CDROM

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave from CDROM
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 06:12:09 +0900 (JST)

Lukas Richterek wrote:
> Then I was able to run them (or at least it seemed, that
> Octave started from the CD) on the computer, where I burn the CD (with both
> Octave's on the HD), but not on another computer with the same version of
> Windows XP. I tried to insert the commands via the command-line, but the
> result was the same. Are some libraries installed into somewhere into
> system directories of should some system variables be (re)defined?
> In case of 2.9.13 console failed to open with warning, tat octave tab could
> be already running (but in fact it was not according to the Task Manager),
> in case of 2.1.73 rxvt just flashed and died.

Tatsuro writing:

*******2.1.73***********
In case of the 2.1.73 version octave on windows, it uses cygwin so that it uses
the registry of the
local computer.
If you want use it, you should change the registry information using the cygwin
mount commnand.
However if the user uses cygwin, use of the 2.1.73 version of octave for
windows should not be done.
I know the risky technique the parallel install the 2.1.73 version of octave
for windows and the
cywin. But it requires edit registry and the binary edit cygwin1.dll which
included in the 2.1.73
version of octave for windows.  Even it is done, the octave and cygwin never be
used at the same time.

:From the above, the 2.1.73 on CD-ROM is not reccomended.
If you want use 2.1.xx series, I recommed the 2.1.50.
This octave uses the old cygwin so that it does not conflict the current cygwin.
But it also use the registry of the local computer. The install can be done the
user can use their
computer as adminstrators and they allow the registry to be changed.

Oh! I remember, the octave 2.1.xx uses the temporary files for plotting.  You
have to set temporary
file directly should be set to the users HDD.

********2.9.13***********
Octave 2.9.13 uses software named 'the cosole' by default, I do not know about
it because it works but
not works fine on Japanese windows XP even if I select backgroound window's
command prompt page code
to be 437 (page code for English console).
The simplist way to solve this problem is that the octave is executed from the
window's command
prompt.

It will not be as convinient as the 'console' but it will be used.  I don't the
name in English
because my compuer uses Japanese XP.  It will be recommended the change the
propety-option-edit option
in the way the mouse facility to be active.  Although you peraps know the
following: to change the
property of command console of windows click by the right buttom of mouse at
the console bar of the
comand prompt window, theb property of comand console can be changed.

Tatsuro

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/