help-songanizer

Re: [help-songanizer] Ogg Vorbis support

From: Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray
Subject: Re: [help-songanizer] Ogg Vorbis support
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:35:35 +0000

Hi,

Do you need some OggVorbis files?  I can give you a password to access
my mod_musicindex served directory & you can download them from there
(provided my Internet stays on -- it's been out most of the week)

That would be just fantastic.

Do you need a command-line tool to encode OggVorbis files?  I use
oggenc, which is pretty much the standard, I think.  I've used it to
convert from FLAC and WAV... probably it does a couple other formats,
but I'd be surprised if it did mp3 directly (you'd probably have to go
back to wav first)

I used a utility called dirogg to convert my MP3s to Ogg Vorbis. As
you said, dirogg first makes a WAV file out of the MP3 and then makes
it into Ogg Vorbis using oggenc. But somehow ogginfo was reporting
that the files are corrupt and I was unable to write any tag
information into them. I fear my 'original' MP3s might be in bad
shape, and since I hardly have any Ogg Vorbis files, hence the
request.

Do you need a command-line tag utility that can do ogg?

Could you tell me what you mean by 'do ogg'? Are you talking about a
Ogg decoder or tag editor? ogg123 is a nice Ogg decoder.

I'd be curious to know what you come up with

I will probably use ogginfo to read the tag information. Something like:
line=`ogginfo tune.ogg | grep "title="`
title="${line#"title="}"
to get the title.

here's the mod_musicindex url:

http://home.ylayali.net/mp3/tmp/ogg-vorbis/

login as "rishi" password "songalizer"

Thanks a lot. Could you make the password "songanizer"?

the ogg-vorbis directory (most of the stuff under mp3/tmp) is a
directory of symlinks created by a cron.daily job ... maybe kinda
similar to what you're doing

I create multiple views of the same dump of tunes, based on title,
artist, album and so on. Maybe you could use Songanizer once version
1.0 gets released. :D

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
Don't be humble ... you're not that great.
                                             -- Golda Meir