human-beings-discuss

Re: [Human-beings-discuss] preliminary rules

From: dams
Subject: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] preliminary rules
Date: 16 Oct 2002 22:26:31 +0200

Guillaume Cottenceau <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

thanks for this very interesting mail :)

>         Cities
>
> The cities are the heart of the game. Each civ is organized with
> a capital city and a (low) number of annex cities.

How do you maintain the number at "low" ? imho it should not be arbitrary
limited, but the map or the way to build a cuty should obloge the number of
city to be low

btw, I think of something : we should be able to transport some goods, and some
others not. That means that one city could have 500 tons of wood, but another
only 2. wood could be transportable, so you could organize wood transport to
bring wood to the second city. This would oblige to have transporter, spend
fuel, and will offer a opportunity to your enemy to destroy your convoy. Some
other good would be more or less easily transportable, like electricity. some
good should be non transportable (I have no example :). I think the goos should
be limited to the city that exploit the mine, gisement, forest... except maybe
the science (or maybe if the city is not enough visited by people from other
cities (merchants, army, etc..) and it has no science facility, then its
science drops down?)

> You need to have a high "cultural ratio" in annex cities (the
> farther from capital city, the more you need), or production of
> batiments will decrease; if this decrease is too important, the
> annex city secessionates.

very interesting, this could be merged with the scince decreasing that I
mentioned above.

>         Population
>
> The population is divided into different categories; each
> category has a "specialization level" which barely indicates the
> time needed to train some, and potentially needs a discovery to
> be available.
>
> Unspecialized [0]
> Peasants [1]
> Workers [1]
> Militarian [1]
> Scientists [3]
> Technicians [2] [Industrialization]
> Engineers [3] [Engineering]
>
> The population grows:
>
> - on a regular basis except when the population starves (see
>   Levys)
> - faster when the housing is widely available; slower when
>   housing is full
> - faster when the civ faces a war
> - slower when the city enlarges
> - slower when crucial discoveries are made (demographic
>   transition): there is a factor of 0.8 after Industrialization,
>   0.8 again after Democracy
> - slower when the fecondity is impacted by having military units
>   (before Democracy) (see Units)
>
> When your population grows, you can command the program to
> automatically launch specialization programs to keep a desired
> ratio between all the available specializations. Some batiments
> may accelerate the specialization, like Schools and Universities.

I remember of a cool game on amiga : megalomania :) It's basically the
precursor of the warcraft style games. I won't explain it entirely, but
basically, your population was not very big (600), and you could alloy people
to:
-scientific discovery
-growing.

army men can be counted as normal population in the castle (city for us) and
can then be normal people to let the population grow. If you send the militaans
to war, they are not counted in the city population.

The idea would be to have few people in fact, so that your city is compsed of
countable poeple. It's just an idea.

>         Goods
>
> Each good has one or more means of production:
>
> Water [Well, River pumping]
> Food [Agricultured grassland, River fishing]
> Wood [Forest chopping]
> Concrete [Mine]
> Plastics [Oil Refinery]
> Steel [Mine]
> Energy [Wood burning, Dam, Wind plant, Oil plant, Nuclear plant]
>
> The goods are not automatically available everywhere.

hmm, well, that's a bad idea in my opinon, cause that's what makes it so easy
to have tons of cities. If you have to spend 500 woods, 50 water, 50 energy to
build a city, and that you have to carry it, you won't build a city 500 mile
away, cause it will cost fuel, and you could be attacked

well in fact, after having read the rest of the mail, your solution of
communication channel is maybe better, I don't know.