human-beings-discuss

Re: [Human-beings-discuss] preliminary rules

From: Sébastien Ducoulombier
Subject: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] preliminary rules
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:59:55 +0200

A long long time ago, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote :
> Establishing ambassies in other civs accelerate the scientists'
> work. You may exchange discoveries between civs if you have an
> embassy and if you're in peace; in such a case, the discovery
> will be made much faster (but not immediately).

I like that. Would it be possible to adjust the aim from "you must destroy
your opponent(s) capital city" to "you must conquier the world" ?
That would make the whole game sound more positive. You may win without
fighting, by collaboration rather than competition.

> Here is the list of discoveries, with the dependancies:
>
> Fire
> Peasanry
> Fishing [Peasanry]
> (...)
> Nuclear power [Plastics, Relativity, Computing]
> Biochemicals [Chemicals, Computing]
> Spaceships [Flying, Nuclear power]

Photocaptors [Biochemicals]
Solar energy [Photocaptors]
Hydrogen Engines [Biochemicals]
HydroSolar Engineering [Solar energy, Hydrogen Engines]
Fast, Clean & Cheap Transports [HydroSolar Engineering]
Universal Access to Information [Fast & Cheap transports, Computing]
Transparent Politics [Universal Access to Information]

>         Political system
>
> The first political system is Despotism. When Religion is
> discovered, it changes to Monarchy. When Industrialization is
> discovered, it changes to Democracy.

Democracy upgrades to Anarchy when Transparent Politics is discovered.
Maybe "Anarchy" is too hard sounding. Let's call it something else. Liberty ?
Utopia ? Orgasm ? :)

When you have reached "Utopia" (let's say)
- remaining enemy cities nearby secessionate and join your civ, as a
"contagious domino falls".
- your civ can survive even without your capital city. There is no need to
protect it more that the other big cities.
- your people will refuse to attack. They may fight (defend themselves) only
if they get attacked.