ifile-discuss

[Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format

From: clemens fischer
Subject: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format
Date: 19 May 2003 13:55:21 +0200

"Brett Nemeroff" <address@hidden>:

> So I'm looking at Jack's original refile.learn script on my
> server. I'm going to try to comment it so I can understand what's
> going on. If I'm wrong, can you please correct me? I'd rather
> understand what's going on than just simply ask you guys for the new
> scripts....

the matter may already be too complicated for a simple brush over to
your scripts.  the most important thing missing, AFAICS, is locking.
ask yourself how mail delivery is started, how many deliveries are
started simultaneously and how you're going to protect the file
changes involved from other processes trying the same.

also, you must know the maildir/ structure well before even starting
with this.

little example:

> # for mbox in $(ls -a $MAILDIR/)
> # However that has extra stuff as well in it (. and ..)
> for mbox in $(ls $MAILDIR/)

ls(1) usually shows dot-files when the invoking user is root.  your
gimmick may fail here.  and you don't need the extra exec.  try "for
message in [^.]*", and name your variables correctly.  you're
iterating over messages, not mboxes!

  clemens