ifile-discuss

[Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format

From: clemens fischer
Subject: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format
Date: 15 May 2003 18:53:51 +0200

Jack Bertram <address@hidden>:

> You're quite right. - my approach was very kludgy by avoiding Maildir
> delivery and operating directly on the messages within the folders.
>
> To do it properly, you'd use some command-line tool which knew how to
> handle Maildir messages (by name, or something).  I have no idea whether
> or not such a thing exists.

a good compromise might be to use simple unix-filter style tools and
let them loop over the ./cur/* or ./new/* files with output to similar
named files _in another maildir_!

example:  i used to have my email enter procmail to get ifile'd and
dispatched to some mbox-type files.  then i changed my entire attitude
by switching from screen(1), having a mutt(1), a playground often
occupied with vile(1) and at least one browser window running
elinks(1), to emacs(1).  i needed screen(1) to be able to cut&paste
between the different windows, cursing on it not having a script
engine.  which was the reason to switch to emacs(1).

i was enlighted.  :)

and even went as far as tracking CVS versions of emacs and gnus.  now
i wanted the best of the lot, taking the chance to make evrything anew
on a new workstation, but that was too much for me.  i didn't know
that gnus takes maildirs allthough only the CVS version can also use
maildir in its backends.

you read these two short paragraphs, but from there to my current
setup with bogofilter/emacs/gnus it took months, not counting the
emacs learning.

> One of the major reasons I use mbox is so that I can directly manipulate
> my mbox files with shell scripts etc, when I need to.
>
> To the OP (Brett?): sounds like you should avoid using my scripts like
> the plague if you're using Maildir.

come on, now, that's too much.  i think you should make this special
your objective clear: you want to manipulate messages "in situ".  if
the OP wants this as well, he might well draw from your experience.

  clemens