Re: How to display read articles?

From: Angel de Vicente
Subject: Re: How to display read articles?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:41:17 +0100

Hi,

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I mean: after reading some articles, I exit the summary buffer, then
>>> later on I enter the group again, and the read articles are gone. I
>>> know that they are not deleted, and I've trying to find the option to
>>> let me see all the messages in a group (regardless of whether they
>>> had been read or not), but could not find it in the
>>> documentation.
>>
>> Go to the Group listing and hit G P to go to Group Parameters and add
>> the following
>>
>> ((display . 100))
>>
>> and then C-c C-c. This will show the last 100 articles and you can
>> change it to any number you choose to.
>
> Or if you want to see old messages only occationally, simply enter the
> group with a numeric prefix arg indicating the number of old messages.
> So instead of RET on a group you'd do C-u 100 RET to see the latest 100
> messages.

thanks for this. It works but it is not really what I was looking for. I
want to find a way to display read messages mostly for mail. Say I have
exchanged some mail with a person a couple of months ago. Most of the
mails I've read, but one of them is still unread (I usually just keep
messages as unread to indicate that I need to do something about
them). Today I want to take some action on that mail, but I would like
to see the complete thread. Showing the last 100 messages might not be
what I want, because I have no idea how many messages I received after
that conversation.

I noticed that when there are no new unread articles in a group,
entering that group does show by default the old read articles, so I was
hoping that there would be a way to ask Gnus to show them as well even
when there are new unread messages.

Perhaps I still need to learn the Gnus way?

Thanks,
Ángel de Vicente