Re: How to display read articles?

From: Andrew Cohen
Subject: Re: How to display read articles?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 07:43:40 -0400

    Tassilo> prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes: Hi!

    >>> When point is on that message, hit `A T' to gather the complete
    >>> thread.
    >>>
    >> i've found that i don't always get back the entire thread. is
    >> there a way to do that other than go to gmane to find it?

For nntp groups (like gmane) there is no way to search for the thread on
the server. So gnus downloads a certain number of article headers (by
default 500) and finds articles that are part of the thread in this
group. If you want more you can do one of two things:

1. increase the value of gnus-refer-thread-limit. The downside is that
   fetching too many headers can be slow.

2. use  numeric prefix arg when calling A T. For example C-c u 1000 A T
   will override the default limit of 500 and fetch 1000 headers

    Tassilo> The variable `gnus-refer-article-method' is responsible for
    Tassilo> controlling how threads are gathered by ^ and A T.

Actually this variable is not used when fetching a full thread with
A T.

Both A R and A T have limitations at the moment.

A R fetches only those articles mentioned in the references header, so
it won't necessarily find a whole thread. But it uses
`gnus-refer-article-method' as Tassilo described.

A T will look for the entire thread, but at the moment will only look in
the current group. I will try to remove this limitation when I get a
chance.