Re: How to display read articles?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to display read articles?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:14:21 +0200

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

Hi!

>> When point is on that message, hit `A T' to gather the complete
>> thread.
>>
> i've found that i don't always get back the entire thread. is there a
> way to do that other than go to gmane to find it?

The variable `gnus-refer-article-method' is responsible for controlling
how threads are gathered by ^ and A T.

,----[ C-h v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]
| gnus-refer-article-method is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is (current
|  (nnregistry)
|  (nnir)
|  (nnweb "gmane"
|       (nnweb-type gmane))
|  (nnweb "google"
|       (nnweb-type google)))
|
| Original value was current
|
| Documentation:
| Preferred method for fetching an article by Message-ID.
| The value of this variable must be a valid select method as discussed
| in the documentation of `gnus-select-method'.
|
| It can also be a list of select methods, as well as the special symbol
| `current', which means to use the current select method.  If it is a
| list, Gnus will try all the methods in the list until it finds a match.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 24.1 of Emacs.
`----

The default value is `current', which means Gnus will only check the
current group for ancestors.  This won't work if your mail replies are
in some Sent folder, so you might want to use gcc-self.

My value says to first try checking the current group, then the Gnus
registry, then search all groups of the current server using nnir (works
out-of-the-box only for Gmane and IMAP), and if that fails try checking
gmane and google groups.

You might also check `gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function' which
tells Gnus how to gather threads.  I do that by reference, which is more
exact.  But there are some mail/newsreaders that generate broken
references, and in that case, Gnus won't be able to gather complete
threads.

Bye,
Tassilo