Re: Another documentation issue

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Another documentation issue
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:07:38 -0500

I think my main gripe is that there may be a trend towards catering to the requests of the user. Ideally, Lilypond should be made incapable of producing bad output. That means limiting the options and choices given to the user.

Usually I applaud when a developer responds to a user. But some users are ignorant of what music engraving should look like. Catering to such a users requests makes Lilypond look bad. Instead Lilypond is in a position to educate the public concerning good music engraving practices. I look forward to the day when there are alternate sets of fonts besides the Feta font, but I do not look forward to a day when it is easy to mix the fonts since they will only be made to look good with themselves, for instance.

Lilypond's ultumate goal is to enable better perfomances:

better typography translates to better performances>

Stephen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden>