Re: Lilypond BNF

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond BNF
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:28:43 -0600

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 11:56 +0200, Juergen Reuter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FYI: I just googled for "syntax diagrams" and "generate" and found this
> page:
>
> http://www.research.philips.com/technologies/syst_softw/elegant/
>
> They offer a GPL'd tool for automatically generating syntax diagrams (in
> PostScript format) for a given (E)BNF.  There is a paper that documents
> this tool:
> http://www.research.philips.com/technologies/syst_softw/elegant/downloads/Diagrams.pdf
>
> Greetings,
> Juergen

This is a cool tool!  I apparently didn't find it in my googling because
I was searching for Yacc, or Bison.

As I looked at the Elegant pages, it appears to me that Elegant is not
syntactically compatible with Yacc/Bison.  Therefore, switching to
Elegant would require a complete rewrite of the parser.  This is a
bigger job than I am personally up for.

The benefits of this tool include being able to automatically generate
both "true" BNF and graphical syntax diagrams.  However, I didn't see in
my relatively quick perusal any facility for including comments in the
BNF output.

Thanks,

Carl
--