Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:01:28 +0200

On 2008/09/22 11:45 -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:02 PM, John Mandereau
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > These Python scripts require Python 2.4, which is not provided in 10.3
> > and 10.4; ideally we should cross-compile Python and ship it in GUB
> > binaries, but it could be a nightmare to make it possible (I cannot even
> > compile current GUB right now, so I'm far from being able to do this
> > within one or 2 weeks).
>
> can someone refresh my mind?  I'm generally against catering for
> broken/old  platforms, but maybe we can make an exception for
> convert-ly ; what broke for python 2.4 ?

The conversion rules written with decorator syntax.  It's certainly a
lot easier and faster to revert this change and write the syntax rules
added after this change than shipping Python 2.4 with Darwin-PPC
binaries -- please correct me if I'm wrong.  Are you OK with these
changes on convert-ly?

lilypond-book still won't work out of the box on Mac OS 10.3 or .4, but
it's required Python 2.4 for ages and most lilypond-book users use LaTeX
too, so I guess they're already used to install Python 2.4 or 2.5
themselves, or they wouldn't be afraid of doing so.

Cheers,
John