Re: working on the new website

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: working on the new website
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:55:14 +0200

Le samedi 01 août 2009 à 20:22 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 07:32:21PM -0600, Andrew Hawryluk wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Graham Percival<address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Great!  Now that that's working, you can delete the web-gop repo
> > > and move back to main repo Documentation/essay/.  :P
> > > Just a few days ago, we set up this new location for the essay.
> > > In the coming days, I'll move the long bibliography into that dir
> > > as well.
> >
> > OK, sounds good. New questions then:
> > - do I need to run 'make doc' to build the essay in the new location?
>
> Mao, I forgot about that.  That'd take ages.

It depends much on your machine... it may take from 26 min to more than
2 hours on a 1,4 GHz Celeron GNU/Linux box with 512 MB RAM.

> You're on osx, right?  Or linux?  I've attached a shell script
> that just builds the essay.

Please don't write, use and spread such scripts, or make sure I won't
notice them nor their consequences: they will likely break next time
makefiles are changed, and there are already so many issues and
questions with the official build system that we don't want to be
bothered by halping contributors that use such alternative building
methods.

>   Eventually I hope to have individual
> targets in the makefile, but I couldn't get that to work.

Cross-references maps from all other manuals may be necessary to build
one manual in HTML.  It might be possible to detect dependencies far
enough to determine which other manuals one manual refers to, but
frankly there are much more essential goals to reach first.

>   The doc
> build process is in the middle of a severe revamping,

Docs makefiles dependencies are currently a mess, which I won't attempt
at polishing before many other things are sorted out: web site
integration, Texinfo parser, translation infrastructure...

>  so we can't
> build the English docs without building all the docs in other
> languages.

I understand this one can be annoying, I'll look at it soon.

> Rendered output (from the shell script) is in
> Documentation/out/essay.html

Documentation/out-www/essay.html. However, after you build all docs
(which can take long time) once, it's fast to rebuild only what you
need, even with make doc at toplevel.

Best,
John