Re: working on the new website

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: working on the new website
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 20:22:28 -0700

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 07:32:21PM -0600, Andrew Hawryluk wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Graham Percival<address@hidden> wrote:
> > Great!  Now that that's working, you can delete the web-gop repo
> > and move back to main repo Documentation/essay/.  :P
> > Just a few days ago, we set up this new location for the essay.
> > In the coming days, I'll move the long bibliography into that dir
> > as well.
>
> OK, sounds good. New questions then:
> - do I need to run 'make doc' to build the essay in the new location?

Mao, I forgot about that.  That'd take ages.

You're on osx, right?  Or linux?  I've attached a shell script
that just builds the essay.  Eventually I hope to have individual
targets in the makefile, but I couldn't get that to work.  The doc
build process is in the middle of a severe revamping, so we can't
build the English docs without building all the docs in other
languages.

(John: the "make out=www out-www/essay.html" trick still tries to
build the entire docs, if they haven't been built before.  It's
not a big deal; I might even adapt the shell script for other
manuals)

> - is the essay going to be rendered in PDF & HTML or just HTML?

PDF, HTML, and info.  Same as all our manuals.  :)

> - where does the rendered output appear? do I need to 'make install'
> to find them all?

Rendered output (from the shell script) is in
Documentation/out/essay.html

Save the attached file in Documentation/, then run "sh
make-essay.sh" (or make it executable and do ./make-essay).