Build failure on OS X 10.6: libguile missing

From: Harmath Dénes
Subject: Build failure on OS X 10.6: libguile missing
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:38:35 +0100

Today, I updated to OS X 10.6.2 and wanted to see if it can build LilyPond or
the docs. Unfortunately, already when running autogen.sh, I got the following
error:

ERROR: Please install required programs:  libguile (libguile-dev, guile-devel
or guile-dev package).

The relevant output lines are:

checking for guile-config... guile-config
checking guile-config version... 1.8.7
checking guile compile flags... -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include
-D_THREAD_SAFE
checking guile link flags... -I/opt/local/include -D_THREAD_SAFE
-L/opt/local/lib -lguile -lltdl -L/opt/local/lib -lgmp -lm -lltdl
checking libguile.h usability... yes
checking libguile.h presence... yes
checking for libguile.h... yes
checking for scm_boot_guile in -lguile... no
checking for scm_boot_guile... no
checking GUILE rational bugfix... ok

Guile 1.8.7 is installed via MacPorts. Of course /opt/local/bin is in the path.
I thought of more solutions or workarounds:
1. install guile-dev via MacPorts - but there is no such package
2. make LilyPond see the libraries in /opt/local/lib, since libguile is in
there - is it what configure needs?
Is one of them reasonable or executable somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Dénes Harmath