Re: lilybuntu 2 and instructions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilybuntu 2 and instructions
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:57:03 +0000

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 06:38:06PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> >I have a new version of the lilybuntu instructions, uploaded here:
> > http://lilypond.org/~graham/cg-doggy/lilybuntu.html

obsoleted as of 5pm or so today.

> "Download the 'lilybuntu2.iso' disk image: "  Might be worth
> mentioning it's just shy of a Gig.
>
> I'm still of the view it's worth saying you need the network bridged
> if you want to move files to the PC with the inbuilt networking.

Heh, I added both of those to the cg-giraffe that I uploaded a bit
before 5pm.  :)

> On http://lilypond.org/~graham/cg-doggy/using-lily_002dgit.html we have:
>
> " Simply type (or copy&paste):
> cd
> wish lily-git.tcl"
> What's the point of the cd?

It makes sure that you're in the home directory.  If you open a
terminal, you should be there anyway, but I figured there was no
harm in adding the cd as well.

> "Navigate to the 'lilypond-git/' directory to view the source files. "
>
> Might be worth mentioning that "Places" has a shortcut to a
> graphical "navigator" like Windows Explorer which will take you
> direct to your home directory.

I'll do this in the "using lilybuntu" in the next cg-animal.

> "You should now be able to modify the source files using your normal
> text editor."
>
> Right-click allows you to edit with gedit.

I'll do this in the "using lilybuntu" in the next cg-animal.

> http://lilypond.org/~graham/cg-doggy/compiling-with-lilybuntu.html
>
> "To prepare the build directory, enter (or copy&paste) the below
> text" -> "To prepare the build directory, start a new terminal
> session and enter (or copy&paste) the text below" (the existing one
> is still being used to run lily-git).

I'd rather not add "new terminal" everywhere, but I'll beef up the
"expect everything to be in the terminal" warnings earlier.

> "this is called an out-of-tree" build; we heavily recommend this
> build method" - could you give another line on why it's out-of-tree?

I'll think about it; I'm actually tempted to remove the
"out-of-tree" bit entirely.  It means nothing to new contributors,
after all.