Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 07:44:59 -0600

On 6/16/11 4:05 AM, "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011, 22:08:21 schrieben Sie:
>> I think there's another problem with this.  If I run
>>
>> lilypond test.ly 1> test.log
>>
>> it should redirect non-error output to the file, and errors should appear
>> in the terminal.  In contrast,
>>
>> lilypond test.ly 2> test.log
>>
>> errors are in the log, normal output to terminal.  In practice, I see all
>> output appearing in the terminal in the first line, and the logfile in the
>> second line.  Does lily distinguish between error and normal output?
>
> Ouch, you are absolutely right: Lilypond simply dumps everything to stderr,
> rather than distinguishing progress messages and warning/error messages...

There was some discussion on this in January.

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/33248>

Issues 1468 and 1074 cover this behavior.

David Santamauro was going to investigate the possibility of developing a
proper logging format.

David Kastrup feels pretty strongly that progress messages belong on stderr
along with warning/error messages, since ther are not the output of the
program.  The output of lilypond is a music file of some sort.

Personally, since lilypond cannot produce the desired music files on stdout,
I have no problem with putting progress messages on stdout, even though
that's not the standard for GNU utilities.  But I can see where David K. is
coming from.

I don't think this is much of a technical issue.  Once we have consensus on
the appropriate policy, it should be pretty easy to fix.

Thanks,

Carl