Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:19:05 +0100

David Kastrup wrote Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:48 PM

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

David Kastrup feels pretty strongly that progress messages belong on
stderr along with warning/error messages, since ther are not the
output of the program.

Actually, I feel progress messages belong on /dev/null. Iff stderr is
on a tty, there may be some justification to put out some progress
indicators to it, but they should not take useful space: one can
compress successive progress messages by using CR and/or BS when going
on.

Yes and no.  I agree progress messages are generally
wasted space, but in a complicated build like LilyPond
with all the documentation there should be enough
context information available to see easily what
went wrong when the build fails.  Not sure you could
capture that on one line.  Most error messages are
too localised.

Trevor