Re: GOP-PROP 2: mentors and Frogs - probably decision

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 2: mentors and Frogs - probably decision
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:23:50 +0100

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 07:53:09AM +0200, Jan Warchoł wrote:
> 2011/6/18 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Maybe we'll just dump all newcomers on Janek?
>
> What's the status of this suggestion?  I didn't notice any serious
> discussion about it.

There wasn't any.

> (i mean, what are your opinions?  I don't want to take such a
> responsibility without your explicit approval)

Well, it's yours, unless there's a great alternate proposal in the
next week.  (GOP-PROP 2 only becomes accepted on 29 June 2011)

As for "such a responsibility"; well, it's precisely as much (or
as little) responsibility as you want.  I'm not asking you to be a
*mentor* to the Frogs -- i.e. you don't have to follow the "mentor
guidelines" (although it would be nice if you did).

The bottom line is this:
- you went through pain getting started
- you know how much help is available (i.e. not much, because
  everybody offering to mentor is already taken)
- try to reduce the pain that future contributors will go through.
  If that means discouraging new contributors from trying
  ambitious/complicated projects, then you have my full support.

I'll be making proposals for more git push access at the end of
July, so some of the current contributors won't need mentors any
more, and hopefully some of them will be willing to become mentors
themselves.  But until August, assume that you are the only person
who will be giving specific help to new contributors.  (of course
we can expect the devel community to review stuff in the "patches
countdown")