Re: Sets spanner length as a spanner property. (issue4641085)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Sets spanner length as a spanner property. (issue4641085)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:38:36 +0200

On Jun 30, 2011, at 5:20 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Reviewers: ,
>>
>> Message:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> This patch simplifies a lot of code duping I'm doing to get spanner
>> lengths in various scheme functions.  Please lemme know if it's OK!
>
> Why is length not computed as a callback?  You should avoid
> set_property() as much as possible, since the order in which the code
> calling set_property() is not defined. Hence, readers of the length
> property cannot be sure that it has been set.

There's no issue with computing this as a separate callback save the fact that
it'd result in a code dup with the normalized endpoints callback.

> What calculations are simplified?  Can you include examples?  I am
> sure that the lilypond code uses spanner length in a ~100 places or
> so.  If you are starting to use a property for length, your code
> should have a 100 places changed.

This makes it easier to do manipulations on a line-breaking spanner whose
different pieces are not supposed to be copies of each other.

> I think you scheme code will be easier to follow if you just define a
> function that computes the length, if given a spanner.

I have a version of this written in Scheme that I use in my graphical notation.
 I'll throw up a new patch with this in the not-too-distant future.  But,
again, it is a code dup from the normalized endpoints callback, which can
calculate both spanner length and normalized endpoints in one fell swoop (at
the expense of using set_property).

Cheers,
MS