Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle instead of emacs (issue4662074)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle instead of emacs (issue4662074)
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 12:55:11 +0200

Am Montag 04 Juli 2011, 11:28:19 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
> The GNU standards are implemented by Emacs, and if it makes an error,
> then that's a serious bug that should be reported (to emacs).  It seems
> to me that someone is spending a lot of effort `just' to accomodate
> people who haven't found how awesome Emacs is to edit code and thus
> introduce layout problems.  This makes it now easier to use another
> editor than Emacs, which may or may not be an improvement.  While
> choice is good, in this case it decreases the need for non-Emacs
> users to try Emacs, and I'm not at all sure if that's a feature.

Oh that irony!
Isn't one of the main ideas of FOSS to give you the freedom to choose which
software you want to use rather than locking you down to one particular
choice? It's really ironic that the argument now is that everyone is supposed
to use emacs and those who don't should be slightly forced to use it.

And no, I don't use emacs, and I won't use it in the future either (I'm using
kate).  If that means that my code is not formatted according to the GNU
standard, okay so be it.  What doesn't really help is that the GNU coding
standard is not very clearly spelled out. Several things are defined as teh
output of Emacs (compare the OOXML specification, in part defined as "behave as
Wort 97 does").

Cheers,
REInhold

 * Edition Kainhofer Music Publishing, http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/