Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 07:22:33 +0100

On Aug 2, 2011, at 6:22 AM, Graham Percival wrote:

> ** Proposal details
>
> Priority-critical:
>
>    * a reproducible failure to build either make or make doc,
>      from an empty build tree, in a first run, if configure does
>      not report any errors.
>    * any segfault, regardless of what the input file looks like
>      or which options are given.

I like the first one, but I think the second needs to be tweaked a bit.  If you
run LilyPond on a PDF file on accident, I find that 1 time out of 3 it crashes.
 This may be the same for mp3 files, jpg files, etc.  The second rule could be
reformatted to read "any segfault on an input file that users claim to be a .ly
file."

I like this classification scheme, but even if it were fixed, it would not
solve the issue you address in the preface to this GOP - namely, the small
number of developers with respect to the large number of bugs.  If possible,
I'd like to have a GOP at a later date on developer recruitment: I think that
it is entirely possible to actively bring on new people and to try to get the
tracker back down to 60ish issues.

Cheers,
MS