Re: Pushing patches to staging

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Pushing patches to staging
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:59:09 +0000

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:13:18AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Sorry, I was unclear.
> >
> > - I am a new contributor.  No wait, a new developer who has just
> >   been given git push ability.
> > - I am a stupid.
>
> Why would one have given you push ability?

Because as long as I have a clear set of guidelines -- such as the
"minor release checklist" in the CG -- I am a net benefit to the
project.  Edit docs?  check.  Handle bugs?  check.  Test new
patches, test if it's safe to merge staging, run timing
benchmarks?  checkidy-check.  Run git-bisect?  check.

BTW, I've just described James, not myself.  For me, I'd add in
"make releases", "organize policy discussions", and stuff like
that.

Now, by the time that somebody is offered push ability, they're
probably already somewhat tied in with lilypond, so if we demand
that they spend 5 hours reading git tutorials, I guess that's not
going to be a deal-breaker.

For me personally... well, I guess I could postpone GOP or GLISS
by another week, and spend the week of Dec 10 learning more git.
That would tie up any useful work I could do that week though; I
tend to average 5 hours for lilypond emails.

**OR**... I could run the 7 commands that Carl suggested, and
spend those X hours working on lilypond instead of reading git
docs.

I think that second option is best for the project.

James, Phil?  Please test those commands, and if they work, get
them into the CG.