Re: Music glyph design choices

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Music glyph design choices
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 09:08:47 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Werner LEMBERG [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> > 1. accidentals.flatflat: Why is the left flat more compressed than
> > the right?  Perhaps if the left were expanded slightly and the right
> > were compressed slightly, then the glyph width wouldn't have to
> > change, but would look more consistent.
>
> Hmm.  I don't think this glyph looks inconsistent...

Here's what I meant. In the following image, we see two normal flats
superimposed (in green) on top of the doubleflat glyph (in black). The
stems are matched up to show what I'm referring to as being inconsistent:

[image: Inline image 1]

I hope this makes it more obvious what I'm seeing. The "left" flat is much
more compressed than the "right" one in the doubleflat. That's all I'm
saying. It would seem better to me to at least have the the left counter
look more like the right one. Like I said before, I'm not saying it is
inherently wrong (nor the green version "right"), but it seems like the two
sides to the glyph could look more similar. Maybe I'm the only one who
notices this.

> > 2. scripts.pralldown, scripts.prallup: The wiggle's thick/thin parts
> > are opposite of the other similar glyphs, which seems odd to me.
>
> I guess all those glyph shapes are based on templates from Bärenreiter
> editions.  Han-Wen?

Well, whatever the reason, in fetatrills.mf, pralldown is the created by
scaling upprall by -X, which certainly does save a bunch of extra code, but
looks funny (and, again, inconsistent to the rest of the trill-like glyphs)
to me. Looks like its a similar story with prallup being a -X of downprall.
At least the code could be changed to be pralldown = rotate(downprall,
180deg) and prallup = rotate(upprall, 180deg). That would keep the
thick/thin lines pointing in the correct direction for each. What say ye?

[image: Inline image 2]

Best,
Abraham

image.png (63K)