Re: Putting Lyrics between barlines / Lyrics and \appogiatura

From: Trent Johnston
Subject: Re: Putting Lyrics between barlines / Lyrics and \appogiatura
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:09:12 +1100

Hi Graham,

I had been looking for a way to make lyrics fit between bar lines.  This was
mainly because some lyrics under short notes (i.e. 16th, 32nd etc) would
hang out in space (even worse if there were extender lines) at the right
side a score.

But this is useful for people who want to use barlines through a instrument
and vocal staff without the barlines obscuring the lyrics.

I had originally the

\context { \Lyrics \consists "Bar_engraver" }
\context { \Lyrics \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"  }

in the Layout section as advised previously by Han-Wen but this output
produced tiny fragments of barlines underneath the lyrics.

Thies had provided me with several solutions and thanks to him the problem
was solved. So now using

\context { \Lyrics \consists "Bar_engraver" }
\context { \Lyrics \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"  }
\context { \Lyrics \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t }

in the layout section, makes the lyrics fall within the bar with no barline
fragments either.

I know that the \override Score.PaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t is in
the lyrics section of the manual and this is supposed to achieve the same,
but the above code seems to work better at keeping lyrics within a barline..

Again thanks to Han-Wen and Thies for their advice.

Trent