Re: Glossary index [was: how to get notes without tails?]

From: BB
Subject: Re: Glossary index [was: how to get notes without tails?]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 17:40:43 +0200

I avoided using "Vorhalt". A "Vorhalt" is not a proper word in this context. A "Vorhalt" is in English a "suspension". That means that in a shift of harmony from one chord to another one or more notes of the first chord are played again (or held, prolonged) against the second chord, so I understand this as a suspension, a delay of the change to the new chord creating tension that will be resolved with the new harmony or note. So, "Vorhalt" has nothing in common with any grace note. A suspension must use the same note(s) present in the preceding chord. Otherwise it is an appoggiatura.

But indeed some people in Germany use "Vorschlag" and "Vorhalt" faulty as synonymously.

Regards