Re: Sample document to show music fonts

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Sample document to show music fonts
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:39:39 +0200

Am 20.09.2018 um 10:26 schrieb foxfanfare:
Urs Liska-3 wrote
Now that there seems to be a certain common understanding of my initial
idea, may I repeat my request for someone to provide a suitable default
sample document?
Coming up with a score that provides representative details with as
little content as possible does require some creativity, and it would be
a good idea if someone else deals with that so I can spend my time with
the coding itself.
Anyone motivated?
https://curatingsubjects.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/79b.gif

Joke apart, would you think possible/interesting to have small excerpts in
the window preview and options to select a musical time or style in a tab
which will propose different scores? One can then typeset an excerpt of a
renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic, xxth, etc... score, which all
combined would represent nearly all the interesting glyphs.

For some fonts, musical context is important. The same idea was used here:
https://elbsound.studio/music-font-comparison.php?font=Aloisen%20New

This is a very good idea.
I have now implemented the option to use custom files as can be seen here: https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/pull/1075#issuecomment-423093733 (the screencast is probably too large for the list so I refer to that place). The inherent limitation is that the custom files should not have a \paper block because that will override the font settings. So you can't simply pick any existing file, but I think that is neglectable since there will be the tool to insert the font choosing code into the document, so you can easily go *that* way to apply fonts to arbitrary documents.

There could conveniently be a ComboBox beside the custom file URL edit to make the provided samples available.

I will implement this but ask everybody to provide dedicated examples of different styles.

Thanks
Urs