BOMs, and Re: vars and multiple scores

From: David Wright
Subject: BOMs, and Re: vars and multiple scores
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 14:50:40 -0600

On Mon 14 Jan 2019 at 20:50:32 (+0100), Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> Am Mo den 14. Jan 2019 um 20:15 schrieb David Bowen:
> >    Have you considered the possibility of making each song its own file and
> > then using lylualatex to build the songbook.
>
> Something like that was in my mind at first. (Using pdflatex instead of
> lylualatex) But at the moment I would be more than happy to have a
> simple but pretty printed songbook. So I decided to start with a
> lilypond file and I might split it up in future.

You could write something like:

  \score {
    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice { \thenotes }
      \addlyrics { \thetext }

    \layout { }
    \header { piece = \heading }
  }

in a file the-above.ily, and then put in your main file:

  heading = \markup { "whatever" }
  thenotes = { … }
  thetext = \lyricmode { … }
  \include "the-above.ily"

  heading = \markup { "whatever else" }
  thenotes = { … }
  thetext = \lyricmode { … }
  \include "the-above.ily"

and so on.

> But the lilypond-book seems to have a weird bug. When called
> "lilypond-book test.lytex", it gives me a stack trace with
> "UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xbb in position 0:
> invalid start byte".
>
> I have the input files in utf-8 but my environment is latin1. When I set
> the LC_ALL to C, it works.

In your first posting of another thread,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-01/msg00243.html
you attached a file. It was posted as "text/x-lilypond, quoted, iso-8859-1"
but it started with a BOM:

  Character name        ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE
  Hex code point        FEFF
  Decimal code point    65279
  Hex UTF-8 bytes       EF BB BF
  Octal UTF-8 bytes     357 273 277
  UTF-8 bytes as Latin-1 characters bytes               ï » ¿

Perhaps that has crept into your source files.

Cheers,
David.