lout-users

Re: Windows support

From: James Mansion
Subject: Re: Windows support
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 20:51:07 +0100

On Mon, 09 May 2011 15:26:54 +0100, KHMan <address@hidden> wrote:
I was excited by Lout but rather gave up when it seemed that I
couldn't do the same things as on *nix and found the code style so
impenetrable I couldn't fix it.

Lout should build out-of-the-box with Cygwin. (But I haven't built it recently.) [A]

Sure - I do try to avoid Cygwin tho. And while I have vbox, I prefer to be able to run native in Windows most of the time (I get better battery life that way for a start).

What was most upsetting to me really was how hard it was to see where and how the command line to execute was being built. I don't normally struggle like that. I can't really find a polite way to describe the structure of it - its like the output from a funky source to source translator.

No matter. I'm trying Sphinx now, and at a push I could try to see how to generate Lout of the latex and docbook backends don't work out. Shame - I quite liked lout syntax.