lout-users

Re: Windows support

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: Windows support
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 08:48:40 +0800

On 5/10/2011 3:51 AM, James Mansion wrote:
On Mon, 09 May 2011 15:26:54 +0100, KHMan wrote:
I was excited by Lout but rather gave up when it seemed that I
couldn't do the same things as on *nix and found the code style so
impenetrable I couldn't fix it.

Lout should build out-of-the-box with Cygwin. (But I haven't
built it recently.) [A]

Sure - I do try to avoid Cygwin tho. And while I have vbox, I
prefer to be able to run native in Windows most of the time (I get
better battery life that way for a start).

The MinGW native binaries on SF builds all the doc manuals fine, and the system call part hasn't changed much. You appear to be able to build Win32 apps, so I assume you will not need any hand-holding. The MinGW/Win32 tweaks is available on SF -- should be dead easy to roll your own builds.

Valeriy has done Win32 builds. We've even done DOS32 builds. So some of us Lout users in this community has laid out some working options for you. Not much else we can do.

[snip]I can't really find a polite way to
describe the structure of it - its like the output from a funky
source to source translator.

This is unnecessary talk. It's old code done in an academic setting with very limited resources. Accept that it's not perfect or pretty in the way you prefer or up to your coding standards. We know its limitations too, but manpower is short, so such strutting and preening is not constructive.

IIRC there is more interest in preprocessing Lout sources to add certain stuff rather than calling external programs from within. If calling from within can be avoided, then I think going a conventional preprocessing route makes for a more simple build process for a document.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)