lout-users

Re: Windows support

From: James Mansion
Subject: Re: Windows support
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 06:42:39 +0100

On Tue, 10 May 2011 00:02:05 +0100, Valeriy E. Ushakov <address@hidden> wrote:

I don't see why system(3) would suddenly stop working.

That call itself works OK.

What was most upsetting to me really was how hard it was to see
where and how the command line to execute was being built.

Why do you need to know how the argument to system() is built internally?

Because the command to execute is wrapped in a pipeline of commands
that are *NIX-specific.  The prooblem is wrapping around the supplied
text in 'pipe'.

If I do pipe {"dir"} the command as built is:

        cat louti1 | dir | prg2lout -r -lC -o lout1 -elout.err

Call me old-fashioned, but I thought it should be straightforward to fix
that with an ifdef that would work on Windows and offer a contribution.

But it did not prove straightforward to work backwards from FilterExecute,
which (obviously) is in z40.c.

If someone could enlighten me about how/where the command is formed, I'd
be really grateful.

I can't really find a polite way to describe the structure of it -
its like the output from a funky source to source translator.

If you couldn't find one, perhaps, you should have kept your opinion
to yourself?

Are YOU going to say that is a maintainable style?

Does anyone here have a good understanding of hacking on lout core
other than Dr Kingston?

James