lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] socket functionality - nonblocking?

From: Micael
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] socket functionality - nonblocking?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:38:16 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, November 25, 2008 14:27, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> The main problem with nonblocking IO is that someone has to implement it.

:-) Same old problem.

> Hehe, socket2.c is an idea started by Frédéric and me to speed up
sockets on lwIP. The main goal was to prevent sockets using netconn but
directly using the raw API.

Can you develop that a little bit? Are there any known bottlenecks in the
code, or are you simply after a less cpu intensive solution?

> My preference would be to implement normal socket
> functions and fast functions that resemble the netconn API advantages so
that we would only have to maintain 2 APIs in the far future. But that's
not going to happen soon, I guess.

And the reason being the performance issues you mention above?

>> I am now at the cross section with the sign saying Left "lwip" Right
"commercial IP stack". :)

> Well, I guess we all came across that... Don't let marketing confuse you
too much! ;-)

I have already turned right a few times now, certainly spent a lot of
money and effort 'over there', and I therefore hope that turning left is a
better long term solution for me, but that obviously depends on how high
the mountain is to climb.

 Thanks,
  Micael