lwip-users

[lwip-users] lwIP delays outgoing TCP packets by up to 500ms

From: Jakub Schmidtke
Subject: [lwip-users] lwIP delays outgoing TCP packets by up to 500ms
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 20:20:10 -0400

Hi,

I am using lwip with NO_SYS=1, and I have noticed
that outgoing TCP packets are very delayed.

It looks like between writing a packet (using tcp_write),
and the time it actually written to the interface it takes usually about 200ms.

I examined the code, and it looks like lwip only writes regular packets every 500ms.

Basically tcp_write only adds segments to a list, and they are only actually sent inside tcp_slowtmr.
Which, by default, is only called once every two calls to tcp_tmr().
Which gets called every 250ms, so the data being written with tcp_write will be sent out up to 500ms later.

This is a really, really long time!

Am I missing something?

Thanks!