lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV devel code / fotemods core dumps

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV devel code / fotemods core dumps
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 15:45:18 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Two people have reported core dumps occuring with the latest devel code.
> Hynek Med seems to get them on linux since 2.7.1ac-0.12, in a reliable
> manner, Wayne also reported one (I assume it is the same problem).  These
> occur only on exit of Lynx, and seem to be dependent on what sites one has
> visited and other browsing history.

It looks there has to be a client-side imagemap in the history to produce
this coredump (*). For example, www.netscape.com, then quit produces the
coredump, as well as www.autocont.cz, then ^V then quit. Though not
www.autocont.cz then quit.

(*) Randomly varies: Segmentation fault, Bus error (most often) or
Segmentation fault with the info screen (Congratulations, you have found a
bug in lynx..)

> i looked at LYMap.c long and couldn't see anything wrong there.
> Apparently some other module is causing memory corruption.
> I have a suspicion that that other module is LYCookie.c (never liked
> them...), this is just a hunch based on showing that that is the next
> thing in memory as shown by `nm'.  I'm not familiar with the cookie
> code, but a look showed two things that seem wrong:

Note that the sites that produce the coredump don't send any cookies.

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden

;