lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev bug in lynx 2.8.1 - "Bug fixes" directory

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bug in lynx 2.8.1 - "Bug fixes" directory
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 06:36:59 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> brian j pardy wrote:
>
> bjp>>> http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/code/lynx-dump_output_cookie.patch
> bjp>>>
> bjp>>> Tom, since this is about the 3rd report of this, would it be too
> bjp>>> much trouble to release a 2.8.1rel.3 with this fix and any others
> bjp>>> that are waiting in the wings, prior to 2.8.2?
> bjp>>>
> bjp>>> Anyone agree/disagree?

It should at least be added to the "Bug fixes" patches in

      <http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release2-8-1/patches/>

> Tom>> yes/no - there's been several fixes (and Klaus, for instance has marked
> more
> Tom>> than one of his in the past couple of months as against 2.8.1).  We can

I stopped doing that a while ago though.  The ones marked that way were
really done against 2.8.1, but I haven't continued to work on that.

> Tom>> add this to the patches under the release page, but putting out a rel.3
> Tom>> would probably add more confusion (and miss some equally good patches).
>
> bjp> That's understandable.  Perhaps we could just do something as simple as
> bjp> adding a blurb in the page linking to the lynx-dev list in the help
> bjp> suggesting checking the bugfixes/ directory prior to reporting a bug.
>
> We don't need a special infrastructure for this.  Only a few people are
> running into this bug, or any of the existing bugs in 2.8.1rel.2, which
> is why it was and still is good enough to be consodered a "release"
> version.  Anyone who *is* running into a bug that has been subsequently
> fixed has a really easy solution: grab one of the 2.8.2dev.NN interim
> releases.

Although people should be encouraged to use the most recent dev.NN, there
may be valid reasons against it.  For example folks who want to apply
the ssl patches still cannot use the latest dev.NN, unless there has been
an update of the ssl patches.

Since the patches/ directory is there, and is linked to from the release
page as "Bug fixes", patches for "important enough" bugs should
really appear there.  (The README in that dir sets a high standard for
what is "important enough" though - which doesn't seem to apply to all
the patches that are currently there).

  Klaus