lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:15:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

>Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:59:52 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
>To: Lynx Developers <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation
>
>On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
>> >My memory may be faulty, but that's what I still think *should* happen.
>> >PERSISTENT_COOKIES should not be enabled by default.
>>
>> Why not?
>>
>> As much as I slam GUI browsers, shouldn't Lynx come as close to providing the
>> same out of the box (err, tar archive) experience as a GUI browser?
>
>No.  Why should it?

Because it makes the web actually *useful* with Lynx.

>It's just not done, and I don't think people *want* or *expect* lynx
>to do this.  If you want persistent cookies, fine, turn them on,

Yes they do, we see questions here all the time about people trying to get
cookies to work.

If it worked "out of the box" (had to do more work to turn them off),
it would actually be more useful to people.

Seems to me, by your logic, that Lynx should only accept HTML 1.0 by default,
and anything above that should have to be turned on.

People are unreasonably paranoid about cookies.