lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:21:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 1999, Patrick Payne (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | Version: Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2 (1998)

> I *think* (IIRC) that in 2.8.1rel.2, the PERSISTENT_COOKIES option in
> the lynx.cfg file was defaulted to FALSE.  You need to set that to
> TRUE (and you might also look over the other cookie related entries
> in lynx.cfg to be sure they are alright).

Well, I seem to recall that the *configure* setting for persistent
cookies at some point changed to enabled, and that it was suggested at
that point that the run-time default should change to FALSE, whereas
before it was TRUE for some time.  My memory may be faulty, but that's
what I still think *should* happen.  PERSISTENT_COOKIES should not be
enabled by default.

> Also, cookie handling has been much improved since the 2.8.1 release,
> and you should upgrade to at least 2.8.2rel.1 (2.8.3 will be released
> fairly soon, so you might want to try one of the development versions,
> such as the current 2.8.3dev.12, which is pretty stable).  BTW, in
> 2.8.2rel.1 and beyond, PERSISTENT_COOKIES is defaulted to TRUE.

It shouldn't be.  Not if compiling in persistent cookie support is
the default.

> since
> the cookie code became much more stable in the later versions.

A specific positive decision should be required before lynx starts
keeping track of cookies.  It shouldn't happen without the user
(or at least the person making the installation decisions) being
aware.

   Klaus