lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation

From: brian j pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:08:03 -0400

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, brian j pardy wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 20, 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > > 2. He doesn't have a problem with -dump, only with -source, if I read
> > > his message right.  I don't think your patch addresses his -source
> > > problem, only the -dump problem which he doesn't have.
> >
> > I don't have 2.8.1rel.2 source breakout sitting around,
>
> There's always the breakout directories on sol.slcc.edu for convenient
> checking of a previous version's single file...

Ah, I didn't check, but didn't think they'd be around from a few
versions previous.  Thanks.

> > but at least
> > in current dev version, -source (along with -dump, -get_data and
> > -post_data) sets the "dump_output_immediately" variable, which is
> > where the bug in LYCookie.c in 2.8.1 is found.  I may be wrong, but I
> > don't think so.
>
> But that alone doesn't cut it, as I have over time repeatedly tried
> to point out...
>
> Start with <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0699/msg00444.html>,
> follow the pointer.  It will take some reading of messages.
>
> I don't know why nobody has added code that solves the problem, it
> shouldn't be any more difficult than what's already being done for
> other cases.

Wow.  I can't believe I forgot about that, and consistently kept
forgetting about it.

I'll see what I can come up with based on your analysis in there.

Can we get some discussion from anyone else interested on your
comments below?

> I haven't done it because
>    - I don't use cookies much, basically only for testing.
>    - I have no need for saving cookies with -source, even
>      some doubts whether lynx should do it.

As you mentioned in [0], perhaps another commandline flag for this.  I
think that would be most proper, but it's a gut feeling sort of thing
and I don't have any real reasons either way.

>    - I would want to review whether lynx should really call
>      exit_immediately from withi  HTFWriter_free, I consider
>      that unclean.

I expect I'll agree with you when I inspect the code.

My apologies for being exceedingly dense in forgetting about your
analysis.

[0] http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1298/msg00514.html

--
Two men look out through the same bars; one sees mud, and one the stars.