microdc-devel

RE: [microdc-devel] German Umlauts

From: Vladimir Chugunov
Subject: RE: [microdc-devel] German Umlauts
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:55:05 +0300

Hi,

> 1. I set only utf-8 to get a better mixed log, cause 90% use
> CP1252 and
> not UTF-8, normally i use of course CP1252 since i new that
> thing about
> the hub_charset ;) i understand the situation sofar :)
It was not necessary because you can set variable log_charset to UTF-8 to get
the log in UTF-8 format :-)

> > The 0.15.4 version as well as all previous doesn't re-read
> user list from a hub when hub_charset is changed - so all bad
> converted nicks remain until the session is disconnected -
> but any newly retrieved information is shown correctly. Try
> to set hub_charset variable to CP1252 value *before*
> connecting to the hub.
> >
> I'm not that newby ;) if i mean changed to, i mean i changed
> in config,
> and does a restart, to be 100% sure, thats not a "change on the fly"
> problem, so that problem with the names is still there, thats
> why i mean
> it doesnt react on hub_charset. It simply doesnt matter,
> which and when
> charset is set, the names are always trash!
Please, don't be offended by my words. There is the problem and I cannot
reproduce it using russian CP1251 codepage. So I'm trying to fix the problem
just looking to the source code. The nick name displayed by "who USER" is
represented by the same string as the simple command "who" uses... as well as
username completion... So up to now I had no idea why this crap happens.

> If u wanna know how i set at startup,
> I created a file called config, in ~/.microdc2
> and put there staff like:
>
> ~/.microdc2/config:
> set nick [RE]808y
> set email address@hidden
> set hub_charset CP1252
> set filesystem_charset CP1252
> set downloaddir /ho...
> set slots 6
> set speed LAN(T3)
> share /ho...
> share /ho...
Just small comment: it is not necessary to share your files each time you start
microdc2 - once shared they remain shared until you issue "unshare" command.
But nothing bad happens if you use this command many times on the same
directory.

> I attached my mixed log:
> Used UTF-8 wenn the log was generated.
> But there was just one how wrote me something in UTF-8 the others
> had used CP1252.
>
> After line 971 [CA]Tweety changed extra to UTF-8
> After line 1025 he had changed to CP1252 .
> In that period i could read his "รครถ" properly.
> The other time i couldnt.
> The few guys who used UTF-8 without knowing, arent online today ;)
>
> I hope u can use that log.
Thank you for log - I think it helps me to improve international support in the
microdc2.

Regards, Vladimir.