microdc-devel

Re: [microdc-devel] German Umlauts

From: Steffen Schulz
Subject: Re: [microdc-devel] German Umlauts
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:27:50 +0100

On 061213 at 18:20, Hermann Schneider wrote:
> i have found the problem, a knowledged guy said me, that the msg from
> users, are displayed in the charset THE CLIENTS have set.

Not exactly, the *bytes* that clients send your when *they* type ΓΌ
depends on what their client likes. The \374-values you see seem to be
from iso8859-1 or similar. You can also see real umlauts, so some users
seem to send you byte-streams that are compatible with your
utf8-settings.

> i change only the behavior of my display in the hubmsges. So i can only
> fit to some group of users with the same charset,

Yes.

> Also he said, that the most dc clients, autoregocnize the charset the
> user has and converts, and thats why other clients havent that kind of
> probs.

This may be an interesting feature. I think it would already help alot
if at least utf8 is recognised automagically. Hubs using different
old charsets should not be that common, are they?

/steffen
--
God's in his heaven.
All's right with the world.