Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.16

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.16
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 03:28:59 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:

> I've added the sdl_sound update macro and fixed the plotmm one:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/b3adc3c5ffef
>
> though plotmm has five years since it's last release and may never see
> an update :)

You can never be sure. For instance, the JPEG library as well as
the whole IJG seemed to be dead. They seemed to be inactive for
years. Yet they suddenly continued and threw out many releases
in the last few months.

Exactly for those cases the upgrade scripts are needed. Libraries
which release a new version very often would be upgrade from time
to time by hand - somebody of the Mingw-cross-env users would notice
those sooner or later. But to catch the unexpected releases, one
would have to regularly check through all package websites - which
is what $(PKG)_UPDATE automates.

BTW, I fixed some strange / overcomplicated update scripts:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/7a4d7fa8be4a

When in doubt with regexes, when to use "grep", and when to use
$(PKG)_IGNORE vs. "grep -v", please don't hesitate to ask.

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch