Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package python: compiles on multi-target

From: Václav Šmilauer
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package python: compiles on multi-target
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 06:24:39 +0100

I've managed to cross-compile python 3.3.0 [1]. After some hazzles, also
the need for wine is gone.

I'm not sure about the install step, which files should go where. It
would be great if anyone could have a look.
Hi Alois,

I am delighted to see that yo usucceeded with cross-compiling python - I tried that a few months back and in the end went with dualboot (I was offering sponsoring for cross-compiled python on the list back then). If it turns out this work, it will save me a great deal of pain in terms of dealing with windows build environment.

Did you use patches from http://bugs.python.org/issue3754 (sorry, I cannot properly look at what you did now)? They have been merged into python dev branch a few weeks back. IIRC there has been some work on making distutils (distribute, they call it now) support cross-compilation of modules. I will have closer look at what you did in the next week.

It looks like you're building a python.exe that I imagine would be placed into some sort
of staging directory, ready for packaging and distribution. In that case, you can
"install" it somewhere that makes sense according to your setup. I'm not
entirely clear on what you're trying to do.

[...]
P.S. Apologies for not replying to your pull request - it appeared to be mixed
up between master/multi-target and was too big to make sense of. In the future,
could you separate each new package into it's own request and also bear in mind
that we generally only include libraries, not applications?
Although python is technically an application, there is a number of reasons why it might be legitimely cross-compiled - (a) some programs might only link to python*.dll for embedding python, not really using the executable (b) some, written in python (hence using python*.exe), need (cross-)compiled python modules (that needs a python installation as well).

Cheers, Vaclav